A tire pressure monitoring system or TPMS is one of the most important accessories to add to your RV, whether it is a motorhome, Fifth Wheel, or travel trailer. Just think of what you have riding on your tires. A TPMS can warn you of impending danger and save you thousands of dollars.
How many miles do you put on your RV each year? Chances are it is quite a bit, and each time you get on the road there is a chance that something could go wrong with your tires. It doesn’t matter whether you are in a large motorhome or a smaller towable (or anything in between), tire failure is an issue that can affect all RVers.
There are numerous social media posts out there telling stories of a tire blowout completely shredding the underside of the RV while the driver did not even know it was occurring. Motorhomes towing a vehicle can experience blowouts on the tow car as well and not even realize it.
In addition to blowouts, over heating brakes are more common than you may think, and if left unattended could result in brake failure or even worse, a fire. These are real issues, but are all issues that could be prevented by having the proper tire pressure monitoring system installed.
Tire pressure issues and heat issues around the tire are the leading indicators of future tire failure. If you can be warned of issues that are beginning to develop, then you will have time to get off the road and check out the problem. Plain and simple, having a proper tire pressure monitoring system for your RV is the number one item you can purchase to assist in ensuring a safe trip for you and your family.
How a TPMS Can Help
TPMS systems will not prevent every blowout from happening, but will warn you if your tires are running too hot or your pressure is too low!
Last year we had two flats on our Fifth Wheel and a slow leak in one of our truck tires. Our tire pressure monitoring system caught all these problems before we had a dangerous blowout. As a result, we were able to change the tire and get back on the road right away.
A tire pressure monitoring system, or TPMS, consists of a series of sensors system that screw onto each tire’s valve stem to monitor tire air pressure and temperature. We have the sensors installed on the Fifth Wheel and truck tires.
The TPMS alerts the driver if a tire gets too hot or has pressure outside the desired range (too high or too low). This gives you time to pull over safely before a blowout occurs.
A TPMS system can alert the driver of several scenarios that could lead to a blowout including:
- Hot tires caused by overloading
- Hot tires caused by component failures such as brakes or bearings
- A slow leak from a puncture
- A fast leak from a puncture, sidewall failure, or tread separation
Choosing a TPMS
We personally recommend the TST 507. We installed ours in July 2018, and as we mentioned above it has saved us on 3 occasions.
Note: The link above to the TPMS we personally use is an affiliate link, which means if you purchase something via the link we get a commission at no cost to you. It goes to our favorite company, TechnoRV, which is owned by a full-time couple. Learn more about them here.
It was simple to install as you can see on the video below.
There are specific reasons why TST is the brand that stands above the rest:
- TST employs a team of engineers in the United States that ensures that the technology is always ahead of its time.
- TST is owned by Pressure Systems International (PSI), the world’s leader in automatic tireinflation, so they have the research, backing and support available to build the best TPMS.
- No cheap parts! TST uses GE circuitry in their monitors, and their sensors are double insulated. Next time you see a system for cheaper, it is because it is cheaper.
- TST is the only system on the market to offer a color monitor. This monitor is brilliant, easy to read, and offers the flexibility to monitor up to 4 different trailers.
- If a support issue were to arise, TechnoRV and TST are here to support you. The team at TST is great to work with. Working together, our support team is very knowledgeable, and we will make sure you are successful with your TST system.
Sharing is caring! Feel free to share the image below on Pinterest.
Leave a Reply